Monday, June 05, 2006

Today's Bible Passage: Ezekiel 36:25-27

I will try to get in just before midnight this time with a passage for today. This was in fact part of my vicar's (pastor's) text for his reading yesterday evening, and I was looking at it again today. These are of course the words of the Lord to the people of Israel:
25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
Ezekiel 36:25-27 (TNIV©)
I could have quoted more both before and after this, but then I would have felt obliged to make some comment on the references to the land, and that would have opened up a controversial subject which I don't want to deal with just at the moment.

Just because I have chosen three Old Testament passages in a row, please don't think that I am somehow stuck in the Old Covenant. In fact of course both today's passage and yesterday's are specific prophecies of the New Covenant. I am sure that in future I will be led to share passages from the New Testament.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 1:42:00 am, Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

That text was a key part of Gordon Fee's talk which I heard last week on the Spirit. He used a lot of OT texts to talk about the new covenant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home