Sunday, December 10, 2006

Post 100

I was surprised to note that this would be my one hundredth post here at Speaker of Truth. All but the first two posts have been in just over six months. I wouldn't have thought that I had posted so many times, at an average rate of just over one every two days.

Of course there have been times when I have been prolific - when I have not been too busy and have had worthwhile things to say, or at least things which seemed worthwhile at the time. And there have been times, including one just recently, when I have taken a short break from blogging here - because I have been busy with my real work or real leisure, or have had nothing to say; or else because I have instead been blogging and commenting elsewhere. In fact this is what I have been doing quite a lot in the last few weeks, blogging at Better Bibles Blog and commenting mainly there and at Adrian Warnock's.

This Post 100 gives me an opportunity to reflect on this blog and where it is going. How have I been doing on meeting my aim, as described in my introductory post and in the blog header, of being "a speaker of truth to all mankind", or better (except for the rhyme in the song) "to all humanity"?

The "to all humanity" part seems to be going well. ClustrMaps has allowed me to keep an eye on how many people have been reading this and where. Currently hits are running at 7735 since 12th June, which is more than 40 per day, although the rate seems to have dropped off a little recently probably because I have been less active. And the hits have been from all over the world, except Antarctica (but then I don't aim to be a speaker of truth to penguins!): from every major English speaking country and many other countries, and probably from every state of the USA. I realise that these hits include search engine robots, but I know that I also have a significant human readership. But I would welcome more feedback in comments.

But how am I doing with being "a speaker of truth"? This phrase, by the way, is not just from the song by Martin Smith; it is a biblical concept, for in Ephesians 4:15 we are told that
speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the head, that is, Christ.
(Ephesians 4:15, TNIV)
Have I been speaking the truth? Well, I certainly haven't been lying, at least not deliberately. But perhaps I have been more putting forward interesting speculations, of my own and others', rather than promoting sure Christian truth. It is the latter that I believe God has called me to do, and perhaps I should start doing so.

Don't worry, I am not going to start blogging dogmatic assertions about Christian doctrine. That's not my style, and there are plenty of other dogmatic and sometimes offputting bloggers. And I won't simply regurgitate the works of famous Christians of past centuries, or even of our own time. What I want to speak is God's truth for today and for the readers of my blog. And I aim to do so in a prophetic way. In saying this I make no claim to inerrancy or infallibility, although some cessationists accuse charismatics of making such claims, something which in fact only a few wild extremists do. But I look for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in what I write here so that it can be helpful to my readers.

So, what is this blog going to look like in the future? That depends on where the Holy Spirit leads. So I can say truly and reverently that only God knows.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 3:50:00 am, Blogger Tim Chesterton said...

Congratulations, Peter.

 
At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:08:00 am, Blogger David Ker said...

Peter,

Congrats on the milestone for the Speaker of Truth blog. I wanted to use an acronym but it didn't sound quite right! I enjoy your posts on this blog and it is on my short-list of blogs I try to look at regularly. I've just had my first blogiversary at Lingamish and that is thanks in part to your encouragement.

 
At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 4:49:00 am, Blogger Tim Chesterton said...

I almost always learn something interesting when I come here, Peter, and that's one of the things I really enjoy about certain kinds of blogs. I also appreciate the fact that you link to blogs you don't agree with, and model what honest and civil relationships with those bloggers should look like. It's something I try to do in my own way as well, and I think there isn't enough of it on the Internet.

Speaking of links, I wonder if you would mind changing the link to my blog as it is now called 'Tale Spin'? Thanks, brother.

 
At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:05:00 am, Blogger Peter Kirk said...

Thank you, Tim and Lingamish.

I need to do a lot of work on my blogroll, which is several months out of date. Thanks, Tim, for the reminder about this. I regret that I haven't been keeping up with your blog myself, because my limited time for blogging has been taken up by other issues such as answering Wayne Grudem etc.

 
At Friday, December 15, 2006 4:42:00 am, Blogger Tyson said...

"But I look for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in what I write here so that it can be helpful to my readers."

Most of your posts have been very helpful to me. Mostly, I really appreciate systematic and sound thoughts from an ardent charismatic. Also, I really appreciate you taking time to answer my occassional questions.

Congratulations, and thanks to God who I believe also moves in the Internet Age!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home