Friday, August 18, 2006

Getting The Momentum Going

This blog seems to have lost some momentum in the last week or so. This is largely because I have been unexpectedly busy. August is usually a quiet month for me, as for most people it seems, at least in the northern hemisphere. But for various reasons I have been rather busy this week. The blogging I have been doing has mostly been on the Better Bibles Blog: four short posts by me spread over the last two Fridays.

The blogging momentum won't be getting going again here for the next few days, in fact not until next Thursday at the earliest. This is because I am going away, with no Internet access, to a Christian event called Momentum. This is an offshoot of Soul Survivor, a network of Christian youth events with an evangelical and charismatic basis. They write:
The heart of Soul Survivor is to envision young people of all denominations to capture first a vision of Jesus, and then to equip, train, empower and release them into his ministry in their every day lives.
Last year they had over 22,000 guests at their three summer camping events, held at Shepton Mallet, Somerset - 3-4 hours drive south west of here. For several years the young people from my church have gone to this event and had a great time, as have my pastor and his wife. Their excuse for going has been to take their own children and help to lead the other youth, but it seems to have been a real blessing to them as well, and has made me want to see what it is all about.

This year, a group of teens from my church is currently at the regular Soul Survivor youth camp. They come home tomorrow but will be replaced by a group of mostly twenty-somethings going to Momentum, which is designed for that age group.

Well, it is some years since I no longer qualified for that group. But I decided to pretend to be in my twenties for a few days and join my rather younger friends for a week under canvas. I haven't camped in Britain for many years, only in Egypt and Australia where warmth was guaranteed. So I am relieved that the five day weather forecast is looking quite good.

I am looking forward to learning all the latest worship songs, and using them to worship God among thousands of others. I am looking forward to fellowship with a group of enthusiastic young (many in both ways) Christians. And I am looking forward to God inspiring me and equipping me for whatever he has in store for me.

I hope to tell you all a bit more in about a week's time.

3 Comments:

At Friday, August 18, 2006 9:26:00 pm, Blogger Tim Chesterton said...

Sounds really good, Peter. My old school friend Jan Barnes (who lives in Castle Hedingham) has two kids who have gone to Soul Survivor and they have really been blessed by it. Have a great time.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:36:00 am, Blogger Tyson said...

I hope you don't feel obligated to feed your hungry readers with a blog post too often! We'll survive, somehow.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:12:00 am, Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Rob Evan, the Donut Man, a children's entertainer and minister has become a Catholic.
See his story on EWTN's Journey Home program 9/11/2006 at 8 PM.
God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home