Monday, June 19, 2006

The Duck Quacks Back

While I was away (and I still intend to report on that) the Daily Duck posted some interesting reflections on the God blog wars. It is sad that he felt left out of what seemed to be an in-house argument among Christians. I am not sure whether Christians should completely avoid disagreeing in public, which includes anywhere in the "blogosphere", but if we do we must remember to do so in Christian love, and to remember that what we say needs to be helpful for non-believing readers like Duck. It was sad in a way that Duck could complain
There I was, in their midst for a whole week, and nobody tried to save me.
But I am glad that in response to my comment he wrote
Yes, you were.
But, sadly, he didn't really want to be saved. Here is the comment (reformatted) which that was a response to:
Duck, thank you for this. But I must say I am surprised that you say that
nobody tried to save you.
I did! At least that was a major purpose of what I was writing. I was trying to show you that there is a way round the the artificial theological barriers which some people have erected. Such barriers cannot stand when they are not in the same place that the Bible has erected barriers, and especially when they are built across the door which God has opened into his kingdom. For, however much these people may rant in the pulpit or in the blogosphere, God has
placed before you an open door that no-one can shut
(Revelation 3:8 TNIV©),
or to change the door metaphor within the same chapter to one which is probably a bit more exgetically sound, he says
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with them, and they with me
(Revelation 3:20 TNIV©).
Meanwhile I am taking Duck's advice (although I won't be using the results in the way he suggests!) by adding a page view counter to my blog. In fact I am adding a cool system called ClustrMaps, which I found on Eddie Arthur's blog, which shows not only how many hits I am getting but also where they are in the world. It will be interesting to see where they do come from.